While this article is geared towards seeking business capital, the tips are easily translated to the nonprofit fundraising context. Here are the cliffnotes:
- Great stories are practiced. Your story must be adaptable to different audiences and lengths, plus as a live performance, so it needs to appear spontaneous.
- Great stories are structured. There must be a beginning, middle and end, but it also needs to flexible.
- Great stories have context.
- Great stories have inspiring protagonists. In other words, it's about people and relationships (sound familiar?).
- Great stories are unexpected